Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Best WPF Business App You'll See This Year

I just watched a DotNetRocksTV video of the application that Billy Hollis demo’d at Tech Ed 2008.

Far and away the most effective demonstration of WPF for a Line-of-Business (LOB) app that I’ve seen. You will never mistake it for a Windows Forms knock-off. I  look at this app and I say:

“THIS is how WPF can be a force for greater user productivity.”

Chock full of “aha” moments. Check out the tasteful use of color, typography, and animation. You'll be amazed by the humble ListControl. The only thing I feel I'm missing is sound.

He isn’t using anything complex or incomprehensible. All techniques rest on foundations you will find in all of the books. Except Billy has put them to good use. He and his team are laying down patterns that should encourage us and inspire us.

It’s a short, feature packed video and worth the 20 minutes of your time it will take to watch (assuming you skip the commercials).

This is the future of user experience. Ok ... I'm gushing ... but it's still great.

No comments: